1) We work because we both love and place high value on our families and close friends
Brian introduced me to his parents and siblings out of the blue after we'd gone out for dinner one night to celebrate our "one monthiversary". We stopped by his parents house and talked for awhile. After that, it seems like I was invited to all family events, and he met my parents when they came out East for a visit after we'd only dated a month or two as well. It was really important to me that he like my family, and I know he appreciates how well I get along with his parents and siblings. (I appreciate it too - I am VERY lucky to have great in-laws.) We also understand how important it is for each other to maintain close friendships with other people. We have a lot of great couple friends who will support us unconditionally for the rest of our lives, and I really think this is an important aspect of any relationship.
2) We both (kind of) love being outdoors
We spent a lot of time doing outdoorsy things before we had Molly, and we can't wait to get back into it more when she is a bit bigger (we still do a lot of things outdoors with her now, but can't wait to take her camping). We used to bike a lot, camp as much as possible, hike, and go to the beach. We've still done all of these things since having a child/ren, but we can't wait to share these things with them in a few years. Brian also loooves to play sports outside (i.e. baseball) and I love playing ultimate frisbee in the summer. He joined our frisbee team and hasn't looked back ;)
![]() |
| Our cute uniforms |
![]() |
| Apple picking in the Valley with Molly |
This one might sound weird, but Brian is an engineer and when I come up with a "project", he can usually make that project better than I can. Here are two examples, but I have a whole post coming soon about DIY kids toys that he has made. Usually, I have planned to create the project myself, but he always does a MUCH better job than I ever could, and it makes me smile :)
![]() |
| A barn built for Molly's 2nd birthday (farm themed!) |
![]() |
| "our" most recent project: a stationary tricycle for Molly to ride while we are using the stationary bike! |
Our nights out are a bit fewer and further between since having Molly, but we have still managed to make time for special occasions with friends and nights on the town. However, we are both MORE than happy to stay in with a movie and a board game more frequently -- even better if friends come over for board game night!
![]() |
| I have a whole post coming up about fun board games too :) |
Molly is our greatest blessing. We had both wanted to be parents since we were little and we warmed to the idea of Molly quite quickly. Brian is an amazing father and watching him with our daughter has increased my love for him tenfold. I know he feels the same way, and we both know how lucky we are to have been blessed with a wonderful child and another on the way.
![]() |
| We love being parents, but Molly didn't love being a baby...lol ;) |
Brian's friends and family have always known him as a reliable person who will always stick up for them and be there when someone needs him. He is loyal to a fault, even if it means he can be stubborn about things at times ;) I know that he is always honest with me (unless he is trying to tell me that he didn't buy a donut with his tea this morning, lol) and I appreciate this so much. I treat him the same way, and I think it really helps us to communicate.
7) We are OK with putting up with each others' quirks.
I think over time you accept that the person you are married to might not do things the same way you do, but I like to think we have worked on accepting each other for who we are. This means that I am always going to turn to Google for answers, stress about things that always work out fine, and spend a lot of time talking about things that interest me or bother me. Brian will always follow his gut, only stress about the big things, and listen when I emphasize how much I need him to hear me :) This also means he will always try to understand why I love stuffed animals so much:
![]() |
| Brian bought me these when he was "courting" me - his words, not mine...haha |
We are both lucky to come from parents who have been married for 29+ years, and who raised us to value kindness, music, sports, family, and education. I really think this has enabled us to relate to one another in a deeper way.
![]() |
| The big fiddle, Sydney, NS, home of 3 of our 4 parents |
I love holidays, and one of my favourites is Canada Day. My least favourite is probably Halloween (I'm not sure why), but Brian loves that one so we usually put a bit of effort into dressing up. We also love to celebrate accomplishments, and birthdays are a big deal in our house. I think celebrating these moments gives us something to look forward to every year. It is also SO fun to celebrate holidays with kids!!!
![]() |
| Despite what you see here, Molly loves holidays too :) |
![]() |
| Banff, 2011 |
![]() |
| My Valentine's card for Brian the year we were obsessed with playing Scrabble :) |






















Wow! His building skills are incredible! This is a really sweet post. I'm glad you included pictures :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading my post!
ReplyDeleteI love 3, 5 and 10 here! I wish my boyfriend was handy, but he isn't so unfortunately I do the planning and the executing of all Pinterest projects. I love number 5 because sometimes it isn't as obvious with men that they love being a dad as much as we love being moms. But then there's a moment when you can see it in their face that their kid makes them so happy, and that they do love being a dad! 10 holds true with a lot of relationships I think. There are probably at least two times every week when I really don't like my boyfriend for whatever reason but when it comes down to it, we would both do anything for eachother, and it's important to keep that in mind when you're mad!
Thanks for sharing, Happy Valentine's Day!
I love the one about Pinterest :) Also, I love the Banff picture and I can't wait to visit there sometime.
ReplyDeleteThese are all so true! The quirks one is a must... how can you live with someone if you can't appreciate that weird stuff they do? ha ha.
ReplyDeleteAww.. This makes me feel bad for dogging on Rob so much! I feel like I should write a similar post! That scrabble card is so sweet. I love that you guys play board games. I looooove games, but we only have Scrabble.. and Pictionary. The barn is so cool and I love the idea of the stationary bike- SO smart..!!
ReplyDeleteawe this was so good! All of your points are such valuable lessons in love! I had to laugh out loud at the pinterest one :)
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog through the link-up and am really excited that I did! You and Brian seem like such a great couple, and Molly is so adorable! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDelete