14 Things Saving My Life Right Now

Happy Friday and HAPPY February!!! As my 7 year old said this morning, it's the month of love!! Lol. January felt like the longest month ever - I have no idea why. I think we were all a bit low-grade sick with colds off and on and got a bit cooped up after some really really cold weather too. So I'm happy enough to say hello to February - a month with tons of birthdays in our family and friends and a holiday. :)



Every year, Modern Mrs. Darcy shares the things saving her life every winter season and I love reading everyone's small things that make this season a bit more bearable. I'm combining it with 14 Things Friday here!!

1) Peppermint tea - I've had a cup almost every night in the month of January - either this or sleepytime tea. It feels like a warm hug before bed :)

2) Dark chocolate - a square a day is a nice little treat and fits with our current eating plan

3) Getting outside - I am not one to enjoy being outdoors in the winter, but we've made more of an effort this year - the girls don't care too much if it's cold so I've bundled up as warm as I can and watched them play on playgrounds or walk around and we've taken them skating too :)



4) My magic bag - I couldn't live without this microwaveable warm thing around my neck most evenings

5) A cozy blanket - I have one on the couch and two on my bed and it is SO nice.

6) Extra quality time with my husband - since my hubby and I are both passionate about hobbies that are sort of solitary (reading/playing video games), we don't always hang out together for long every night when we're home. We do chat a bit after the kids are in bed or maybe watch a show but then we normally just move on to our own activities and call it a night. I've tried to play board games with him a few times now or just sit and have a longer conversation than usual because hello - built in amazing friend who lives with me and loves me more than anything? I need that these days more than ever :)

7) Chatting with friends - I have made more of an effort to text friends from time to time and see people in person. In the past, it's always been easier to see big groups of friends at once but now I'm realizing maybe coordinating that can be hard and since I am pretty free, I'm trying to spontaneously see people here and there when I can.

8) Planning the spring and summer -we booked a camping trip for the long weekend in July and we're making some other fun plans - I need that to keep me going these days :)

9) Exciting extended family news - my little brother got engaged last weekend! We get to plan a trip out west (presumably) for his wedding and I can't wait

10) Yoga and meditation - taking the time for self reflection is never a bad thing

11) Rest - usually, when I have down time at home during the day (when the kids are at school - that's my most productive GO GO GO time but a few times lately I've just allowed myself to rest and read a book and it has been so nice.

12) Dance parties - 3/4 people in our family love pop music (my husband does not) so we've been dancing quite a bit after supper and it is so fun :) My girls are currently obsessed with this song and this one too after hearing them in the Cinderella musical they saw in December.

13) Trying new recipes - in so many ways, winter feels like I have more time. I think it's because we do have more activities in the summer and we also do more spontaneous beach days/plans with friends and family etc. so I definitely have more time *at home* during the winter and I've tried a few new recipes that we love. I can share them if there's any interest!

14) The furriest sweater ever - I went through the first two weeks of 2019 freezing in my own home despite wearing multiple layers and keeping the house at a decent temperature. Finally, I broke down and drove to the mall at 9 am on a Saturday with the sole intention of buying a thick polar fleece sweater of some kind. I ended up with this SUPER FURRY, incredibly warm pullover and I have to say I haven't really been too cold since then. Haha. Wearing this sweater makes me feel like Telly from Sesame Street :)


See what I mean?! lol


Hope you all have a great, cozy weekend!!!! :) I have a few books on my horizon as well as some plans with friends and family. Can't wait!! It's going to be a chilly one here! 




No comments

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post! I reply to comments via e-mail unless you are a no-reply blogger, and if that is the case you can check out this post to fix it!!