That being said, I have been reading A LOT for pure enjoyment/distraction/relaxation so far in 2018. I don't regret it, and this happens to me a lot in the winter months when there is less socializing going on and the Canadian winter encourages me to curl up with a cup of tea and a book every night. That being said - most of the books I'm sharing here are not necessarily books I would blanket recommend to everyone because we all have our preferred genres etc. However - I still feel like I've read a lot of good books for my preferences lately so I want to talk about them!! :)
Linking up as always with Steph and Jana with some short reviews of books I've read since mid-March. Also linking up with Rachel this month.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND:
Educated: A Memoir by Tara WestoverMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Wavering between 4 and 5 stars on this one. What an incredible memoir. It took me a little while to get into this, which is sometimes the case with memoirs for me in general, but the latter 75% of this book read like fiction (at least to me). I couldn't believe it. Someone in a group I'm in mentioned that this felt similar (in some ways) to The Great Alone, and I can see that comparison - it's just scarier because this one wasn't fiction and this is a real person who experienced these things. Wow. SO well written. I have nothing but empathy for this author. Here's an interview with her. Even MORE interestingly, here are some Amazon reviews about this book from her family's perspective and other people who know the Westovers. TORN about my thoughts on this book after reading those.
Thank you so much to Netgalley for the advanced review copy of this highly readable memoir. It's a "read now" book on Netgalley until April 23 so if you are interested in it, I would suggest heading over there to get it! It was very profound and so well written even if this genre is not one you normally seek out (like me).
And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik BackmanMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a short novella. In my opinion, Fredrik Backman can really do no wrong. Like The Deal of a Lifetime, this one was a bit too short for me :(, but it packs a very powerful punch. Can easily be read in one sitting. A bit confusing at the beginning, but SO so good.
Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell AllenMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Kristen recommended this book to me almost 2 years ago and I was dying to read it, but I couldn't get my hands on it anywhere! I wasn't sure if I would like the steampunk genre so I wasn't willing to buy it on kindle. I recently found it on Hoopla via my library and was so excited to read it. I listened to most of it and the audiobook was very well done (I read the last 30% because I could NOT put it down). This genre is incredibly fascinating and I loved the characters, the setting, the 'tons, the paranormal aspects...this book introduced me to things I didn't know I liked. Lucy was such an interesting and strong character and the mystery aspect of this book made it quite fast-paced. I was unable to put it down until I found out who was causing all the trouble. Steampunk certainly won't be everyone's genre of choice though. I can't wait to read the next one via Edelweiss!
This month I read MOST of the Knitting in the City Series by Penny Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I love love love love love this series but I can also acknowledge that these books aren't for everyone. An amazing friend lent me these on Kindle and I FLEW threw them. They are 100% contemporary romance but they are really funny and the characters are unique, fun, and different than one another. I have 2 books left in the series and I am going to wait just a little bit so that I can savour it. The addiction is real here though - each story is about another woman in a group of friends so it is just too much fun constantly revisiting the group again and watching the next relationship blossom. I am surprised by how she has managed to make each story so different from the others. I appreciate reading about these female friendships in such a humorous way and reading their completely (in my opinion) unrealistic love stories. This is super fun fiction for me so if you like contemporary romance, I highly recommend these :)
OTHER ENJOYABLE BOOKS:
Ashes on the Moor by Sarah M. EdenMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I have enjoyed many of the books in the proper romance umbrella published by Shadow Mountain (i.e. Edenbrooke), and this one was no exception. It was sweet and enjoyable. It was quite a quick read, and parts of it were heartbreakingly sad. It reminded me a little bit of the concept behind North and South. The people in the town really grew on me and Evangeline did too. If historical romance is your thing, particularly if you prefer it clean, this was a cute book. I read it in one sitting.
Thank you to Netgalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for providing me with an advanced review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin KwanMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book had been on my radar for awhile and when I finally got to it I gobbled it up in less than 24 hours. It wasn't 100% amazing but I was REALLY into it while I read it and it was quite enjoyable, VERY funny, sooo snarky, and highly readable. I will definitely get to the next two in the series later this year.
On the Way to the Wedding by Julia QuinnMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
Not my favourite of the series but I still do love those Bridgertons. Sad to say goodbye to this series but I will pick up some other books by Julia Quinn when I'm in the mood for sure.
The Wedding Date by Jasmine GuilloryMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be, and I really liked it. It was fun to read and the characters were great. I love the pretend relationship trope so I knew I would enjoy this and I will be happy to pick up another book by Guillory in the future. It passed the time nicely and was fun to read - what more can you ask for in a Friday night read?!
You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis SittenfeldMy rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Having only read Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (and loving that one), I was excited to dive into this despite only sometimes loving short story collections. This was one of the better collections I've read and I think it will be quite well received this summer. These stories were quite readable, quite eye-opening, and there was a bit of a wow factor in most of the stories. The characters were very diverse and that was fun to read too. A lot of these really made me think about how you can make quick judgements about a person without being correct...the whole collection really embodies that saying of "assume = ass out of u and me". Like many short story collections, I liked a few stories way more than others, but that's the way it is! I recommend giving this one a chance :)
Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Random House for the advanced review copy of this book.
Intermediate Thermodynamics by Susannah NixMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book was adorable. I enjoyed her first book last month and picked up this one on audio on Hoopla. I don't usually listen to romance on audio but I kind of like it - the manly voice is interesting. Haha - and you can't skim audiobooks. ;) I love Susannah Nix's characters so far and the L.A. setting is also kind of fun to read about - I haven't read many books set there for some reason. I appreciate what she is doing with her women in STEAM fields of work too.
Don't Bother:
Maybe Someone Like You by Stacy Wise
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
I skimmed parts of this and read it in one night over a holiday weekend, but I will admit that it was pretty forgettable - literally the next morning I could not remember the title or the main character's name. Thank you to Entangled Publishing and Netgalley for the advanced review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
In summary: I definitely recommend almost all of these books depending on your reading preferences, but in particular EDUCATED, You Think it, I'll Say it, Beauty & the Clockwork Beast, and Penny Reid's books!!
CURRENTLY READING:
Graceling on audio, Down a Dark Road, and A Conjuring of Light <3<3<3
So, what have you been reading lately?!










Seems like every other link-up is talking about Educated! Gonna have to check that one out. Crazy Rich Asians is on my TBR :)
ReplyDeleteI have Educated on my list, I really need to pick that one up soon, I keep hearing about it! I thought Crazy Rich Asians was so fun, and I read China Rich Girlfriend last year and enjoyed it as well. I'll have to pick up the third one soon. I've only read Beartown by Backman (and LOVED it) but would like to read more!
ReplyDeleteEverybody keeps on talking about Educated and while memoirs aren’t normally my thing, I definitely want to pick this one up! The Wedding Date sounds super cute and probably a book that I need to read more of. I really haven’t read any cutesy books this year and that needs to change!
ReplyDeleteEducated is currently sitting in my kindle, thanks to netgalley. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but have heard great things about it. I haven't read Crazy Rich Asians yet. A part of me is scared that I won't like and I am determined to have my butt firmly planted in a theater seat this August when the movie comes out. I'll probably read it beforehand but sometimes I struggle to keep my big mouth shut when I don't like changes they make from the book. :D
ReplyDeleteI've had Crazy Rich Asians on by TBR for a while, but it has never been something I prioritize, but from what you've said I think I'm going to bump it up because i've been enjoying things that are easy reads. The Wedding Date is currently on my hold list from the library- I've heard good things!
ReplyDeleteThat's great you've been reading some good novels lately. And I don't think you can blanket recommend ANY book for everyone - even the biggest books have their haters, right? LOL
ReplyDelete-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net
Educated is on my TBR list. I saw the author on a morning show, I think CBS. She seems very intelligent and I've read great reviews of the book. But I did have questions about her authenticity when she talked about her family. Those Amazon reviews just confirm the doubts about how harsh her upbringing was. Have you read the Sound of Gravel? It was an excellent memoir. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean, I look forward to link up day, to read and think all about books all day long!!
ReplyDeleteI am on the waiting list for Educated, and hope to get it soon.
I really enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians, but didnt' like the sequel to it. I might try it again, before the movies come out.
omg you totally should have joined those women! haha. that would have been so awesome. i can't tell you how happy i get each time you like a book that i liked, so yay! hopefully the second one after beauty and the clockwork beast is just as good. let me know when you read it and we'll read it together :) also, duh, so happy you are enjoying the knitting series, let me know when you wan't maries book! i can't wait for your thoughts on the last 2. gah, can't wait for your thoughts on graceling, it's been a couple years since i read it i think, i was more into that genre. and of course a conjuring of light! i might need to re-read that series soon. i loved the wedding date, Guillory has another book coming out soon called the proposal i think. i am dying to get my hands on it lol
ReplyDeleteI would absolutely expect that people would come back at Tara Westover. The family is freaking nuts.
ReplyDeleteEducated has been on my to-read list! I am so glad to hear it's good! Also I love discussing books with other people - it's so interesting to me how different some books are perceived! Thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous of your ability to stay on top of your NetGalley reads. I'm finally getting to ones I've had for like a year.
ReplyDeleteEducated was a hell of a read.
Educated sounds super interesting! :)
ReplyDeleteI just added the knitting in the city series to my TBR. Can you believe my library does not have a single Penny Reid book?? So rude! Educated sounds interesting. Going to go ahead and add The Wedding Date too!
ReplyDeleteI just added that Frederik Backman to my list at the library. Educated sounds interesting too, but tough at the beginning.
ReplyDeleteI just added Educated to my to-read list as well as the Backman book. I've become such a fan of his!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians because I thought it was hilarious on so many levels - the snakiness, the absurdity of the extravagance of the rich, etc... I liked the second as well, but it started to wear on me by the end because it was so hard to relate with. I don't think I'll read the third one, but who knows? One day I may.
ReplyDeleteI've heard lots of good things about The Wedding Date.
ReplyDeleteI'm like 7% into Educated and then the library ebooks started coming in...hopefully I finish that by the end of April!
One of my friends loved Crazy Rich Asians ... I remember her talking about how funny it was a couple of years ago. Maybe I should give it a try at some point.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your statement about blanket recommendations -- I've been trying to be better about that sort of thing in my own reviews because I know I read a lot of dark and disturbing types of books and not everyone is okay with that sort of thing. I've read very few books I felt needed an actual "warning," but those do exist and I definitely try to be even more upfront about the type of material in those books.
I'm glad you had such a great reading month! :-)
I admit I've never been able to yet read a Fredrik Backman book because I know how much of an emotional punch they all contain. One of these days I will. I have Crazy Rich Asians on request from the library as soon as I heard it was about to be a movie.
ReplyDeleteI've been enjoying my fluff as well! You guys have me wanting to read everything that Penny Reid has written heeheh. Also, contemporary romance is so fun and easy to read that it makes me struggle with anything else. LOL Part of that is ok, because I need to keep a fairly fluffy mental diet.. but part of me is like... come on now.. read other books or you will be bored soon. You don't want that. LOL. :) I read another Zapata the other day and enjoyed it. :) I struggled with a man called Ove because it felt sooo dark to me. It was funny and heartwarming too, but SO dark! : / I just picked up another one of his though, so I am not giving up on them! :) I'll have to look into Educated. Memoirs can be super fun sometimes! :) I burst in on book chats (or people holding books! -- lol!) all of the time! :P XO - Alexandra
ReplyDeleteSimply Alexandra: My Favorite Things
The Wedding Date looks like something I would like! I'm interested in Educated too....going to have to check those out!
ReplyDelete