A Month of Great Books

I'm so happy that Show us Your Books day is finally here with Steph and Jana!! This month was an awesome reading month for me. Almost all of the books I read had me completely engaged, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them depending on a person's taste in books. :) I am finally feeling like I might actually finish Erin's book challenge...the only book that I have left to finish up is The Count of Monte Cristo, and I only have 17 hours left of it on Audible (which is actually only 9ish at 1.85 speed!!!)..so that's totally doable in the next 20 days, right?! :)

I've noticed that I have been giving a lot of 4 star ratings this year and I'm not really sure why. I haven't rated a book 5 stars yet in 2017 even though I've read some fantastic books. It seems like there has always been one thing holding me back from a full 5-star rating, and I'm okay with that, but I'm hoping for the BOOK OF THE YEAR to drop into my lap any day now. lol. Honestly though, reading a lot of 4-star books isn't the worst thing in the world. I am enjoying my reading life immensely. I think I just need to wait to read TJR or Louise Penny's new book and that'll be 5 stars for me, I hope ;) So much to look forward to in books this year. :)

The Girl BeforeThe Girl Before by J.P. Delaney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was just what I needed at the time: a book I could not put down. It grabbed me right from the start. It was interesting reading about two different characters who had similar lives in some ways. There were a couple of twists that I didn't see coming at all. I was generally creeped out and on-edge the whole time I was reading this. I know that it will be great on the big screen whenever it gets made (the rights have already been purchased).

The Sun Is Also a StarThe Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
(read for #ownbooks #diversereads category of MMD Reading for Growth; read for Erin's book challenge 6.0 category: homonym in the title) 

I was unable to put this book down and finished it in a day. I loved the characters and their teenage but also adult-like problems. The plot moved quite quickly and the relevance of the issues was quite intense. I really enjoy books that are told from multiple perspectives (this reminded me a little bit of (A Little Something Different, but so much better). This book really made me enjoy the genre of YA after leaving it for awhile. I can't wait to read her other book, Everything, Everything and I have it lined up for April because my new favourite Facebook book club is talking about it next week.

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was on my radar for awhile, but I knew I wanted to wait until all three books were released to start reading them. I read about 85% of this book quite quickly and then I sort of put it down for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure why?! I really liked the writing and the world that is created here. It is unlike anything I've read lately, but yet it sort of reminds me of something and I can't quite place it. When I finished this book, I felt like a lot happened but it wasn't overly complicated. Schwab just sort of immerses the reader Overall, this was a great start to this trilogy. I can't wait to see what happens next and I'll be reading the next book next month when it comes in from the library. If this is your kind of genre, I think this series will turn out to be really enjoyable. I am rooting so hard for Kell!

A Knight in Shining ArmorA Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(Read this for Erin's challenge 6.0 - category: Time Travel) 

This book had some very cute moments and I enjoyed the time travel aspect and the setting. It fell a bit flat for me and I'm not too sure why. The ending was enjoyable though.


Exit WestExit West by Mohsin Hamid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a quick read for me and I absolutely loved the writing. The emotions that Mohsin Hamid were able to convey in this book were very real, and this book absolutely made me think about migration in a light that I hadn't before. I don't think this will be a favourite of mine necessarily, nor will I re-read it, but it opened my eyes to something that I think is quite important in our present day and for that I am grateful. If migration/immigration is something on your mind at all, you might want to give this book a chance. It is not very long but it is extremely powerful.

The Casual VacancyThe Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

(Read this for Erin's challenge 6.0 - category: Book by your favourite author) 

I put off reading this book for years because I had read the first little bit of it and found it to be quite boring (a lot of the Internet agrees with 2012 Heather). However, this time, it came to me at the right time. I had just heard a fellow J.K. Rowling fan talk about how much she'd liked this book on the WSIRN podcast, and I already had it lined up for Erin's challenge (and had put it off for 3 months). I did quite enjoy the writing in this book, and I felt that the plot moved along quickly enough (and there were certainly enough characters!) to keep me interested. However, I can see how this book wouldn't be for everyone. It would not have been one I would have enjoyed 5 years ago, and there was a LOT going on and a lot of everything going on with every character. It was a much easier read than I was anticipating though and overall I am so glad that I forayed into J.K. Rowling's work beyond Harry Potter. I do really love her writing, and I am antsy to go and read HP again sometime this summer. Note: for people who are NOT fans of Harry Potter (are there any? lol j/k), this book is absolutely NOTHING like it in any way, so it might be worth your time if that has ever held you back from trying it ;)

CURRENTLY READING:

Only 16 more hours left in my audiobook of The Count of Monte Cristo (it's starting to get a bit intense!)
This is How it Always Is (this book is SO amazing so far!!!)
Everything, Everything - discussing this in online book club later this week :)

What have you been reading lately?! Anything good to recommend?? I think I have enough library holds to carry me through until May but I can't wait to get into some fun spring and summer books!!! 





30 comments

  1. So I have only read one chapter of The Girl Behind so far but I have heard lots of good things! I think Kristen had me convinced that i needed to read that magic series, glad to hear you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVED the Shades of Magic series. I finished the third book in March and it's the best book I've read this year, I reckon. I hope you continue on and have a jolly good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope the others are just as good if not better!

      Delete
  3. I need to get back to the library. A Darker Shade of Magic sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome reading month!! Good luck with the Count!! You can do it! :) I had similarish thoughts and feelings on JK's Cuckoo's calling. I know some people HATED it. I found it a bit slow, but her writing is still fantastic. In the end I was like "YAY I FINISHED!" but as I thought about it more I thought of how awesome the characters were. I love Coromon Strike, and I'm excited to read the next books even if they aren't the kind of thing you fly through! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Darker Shade of Magic series is waiting for me on my Nook...glad to read a good review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Everything Everything!!! & The Sun is also a star... I'm really loving that author!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first two are already on my list and I'm pumped to read them based on your commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Girl Before was really good. I like how the author kept twisting the story and making revise my opinions of the main characters. I was also waiting for the third book to come out in the darker shade of magic series and need to start reading that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I liked about The Girl Before...it was really hard to tell who was good and who wasn't!

      Delete
  9. I am waiting for the library to fork over Exit West. And your post seals it. I'm reading The Girl Before in the next few weeks. I've had it for awhile and keep reading other books instead. I'm feeling left out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in as agreeing with past you; I was gifted The Casual Vacancy and really wanted to love it. I got through a hundred or so pages when I just couldn't will myself to pick it up again. I liked it when I was reading it, but never wanted to pick it up! I held onto it though and definitely want to try it again; I love her writing. Maybe like you I just need to discover it at a different time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read The Sun Is Also a Star this past month as well and really enjoyed it. Also really enjoyed The Girl Before. I haven't had a desire yet to give The Casual Vacancy a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sun is Also a Star was SO refreshing in that genre. I'm reading Everything Everything right now and loving that one too.

      Delete
  12. I loved The Girl Before, and I actually liked Everything, Everything more than The Sun Is Also a Star, so hopefully you will like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have The Girl Before checked out - I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay for awesome reading months!
    so glad you liked the first book in the shades of magic, hope you like the rest.
    the knight in shining armour's ending SUCKED. we can't be friends anymore. haha. jk. bummed you didn't like it. i thought our tastes were exactly the same and now i don't know who i am anymore!
    exit west is on my shelf.. hope i get to it soon.
    the rest of your books are on my list but i don't know about casual vacancy. maybe one day lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to read "The Casual Vacancy". I wish that "HP and the Cursed Child" had been actual new HP novel, not a screenplay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't heard of most of these so I'm going to go ahead and add some to my list! Thanks for the recommendations! -- Lisa | Naptime Chai

    ReplyDelete
  17. This month seems like you have a great mix of genres. I've enjoyed seeing your journey of The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm impressed that you've stuck with it but worked in so many other great books too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad that you liked The Girl Before! It's seriously one of my favorite books of the whole year so far! Everybody keeps on talking about A Darker Shade of Magic, and I know that I'll get around to reading it eventually because it totally sounds like my type of book! And I know that I should give The Casual Vacancy a chance, but I just didn't love her other novel The Cuckoo's Calling, so I'm kind of hesitant to read it. But maybe I will, I just love JK Rowling so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm seeing the The Darker Side of Magic book everywhere but I'm not sure if it's my genre.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm reading A Darker Shade of Magic right now and really loving it! I read The Casual Vacancy and loved it, but it's definitely not for everyone. I always say it's very literary. Have you read her mystery books under the name Robert Galbraith? SO GOOD!

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started having book rating anxiety because I hadn't rated anything 5 stars either (until I read Pachinko), so I can totally relate to not wanting to fully commit to giving something 5 stars. I think Exit West is going to be next on my library hold list as soon as I have a spot open up. I'm so torn on The Sun is Also a Star and I'm not sure why. Is it sad? LOL at your comment about fans of Harry Potter. I loved what you said about Casual Vacancy and how important timing can be with a book! That one is still on my TBR list, but maybe I'll give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the recommendations for more Nicola Yoon books after Everything Everything. I hope you enjoy EE and what fun to discuss with your online book club. I can't wait for the movie now :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I put off reading Casual Vacancy too. Hmmm, this makes me want to start reading it again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm might need to add a few of these to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything, Everything was good. I am looking forward to The Sun is Also a Star. Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha I haven't given a lot of 5 stars (if any) this year either. I definitely want to check out The Girl Before! And I saw The Sun Also Rises on BOTM and really liked the cover but never picked it up haha. I also haven't read any of Rowlings other works, but I have some of them on my shelf. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post! I reply to comments via e-mail unless you are a no-reply blogger, and if that is the case you can check out this post to fix it!!