I recently read Year of No Clutter by Eve Schaub, which I talked about a little bit here. I accepted this book from Netgalley & Sourcebooks in advance of its publication in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this book and found it inspiring and humorous. I feel like I am constantly sorting through clutter in our home - this is the product of having two small children, a lot of doting people in our lives (NOT complaining), and from working full-time etc. etc. I have managed to purge A LOT in the last year or so, but it's still always a work in progress to keep the papers & artwork & toys from piling up.
A post I read last week on Modern Mrs. Darcy sums up the way I feel about productivity, life betterment, and non-fiction perfectly: I need to read books about certain topics in order to live out those topics in my life. Reading books about things that I want to improve in my life helps me to focus on these things. Sometimes, I need to re-read certain books in order to maintain that theme. If I'm reading a book about bettering myself or my habitat, I generally have these thoughts at the forefront of my mind and I am able to strive towards these things in my daily life. That's how I felt when I was reading alongside Eve Schaub's journey in Year of No Clutter. In some ways, I expected the book to be a bit more of a how-to, but when I finished it, I realized that I have already read a lot of how-to books. What I needed at that time was to realize that other people suffer from these types of things and have managed to conquer the clutter.
Sourcebooks asked me if I would share some information this week for their Week of No Clutter during the publication and release of Eve Schaub's book. I was happy to do this since they sent me the free copy of the book :)
To sign up for the week of no clutter challenge, go HERE.
To win a free copy of the book, enter via this Rafflecopter giveaway.
Do you enjoy books like this one? Other books I've really enjoyed that are loosely related to this topic:
Clutterfree with Kids
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
The Happiness Project
Some blogs that talk about minimalism that I really enjoy and find inspiring (even though I am uncertain if I will ever become 100% minimalist in ANY way)
Becoming Minimalist
Not Entirely Perfect
Measure & Whisk
6 comments
Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post! I reply to comments via e-mail unless you are a no-reply blogger, and if that is the case you can check out this post to fix it!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









I would rather read an article or a blog post over a whole book on these topics. I often come to resent the material when it's in book form. It's weird.
ReplyDeleteI was just looking at one of my bookshelves and annoyed by how cluttered it looked. Even though I truly don't think we have a lot of 'stuff', I think we lack organized storage meaning more stuff than necessary sits out. I really love non-fiction, especially self improvement type books & I think you're so right with it being important because it serves as a reminder or a way to be more intentional or aware of what you're doing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for including my blog on your list! I feel the same about books, I like to immerse myself in what it is I want to accomplish. When I did the biggest purge of my stuff, I was reading the Tidying Up book and watching Tiny House. And I think listening to a minimalism podcast! That strategy just works well for me.
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! :) I love the idea of becoming more minimalist... but I'm a collector at heart! hehe I am doing my best to organize and declutter as I can. Moving has made some of that easier... and some of it harder! haha XO - Alexandra
ReplyDeleteSimply Alexandra: My Favorite Things
I think I might need to read this!!
ReplyDeleteI struggle so much with clutter! Mostly of the paper variety. Whenever I see someone's spic and span kitchen, I'm always wondering, how do they do it?! Even on the rare day I can get all the clutter off our kitchen island, it's a mess the next day lol. And my kids aren't even old enough to be bringing stuff home for school, etc, yet!
ReplyDeleteI do enjoy books like this - I was very motivated by Kondo's book. I think it's one that I should definitely revisit on a yearly basis. My home was in it's best clutter free state after reading it!