Best books I've read lately:
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty SmithMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
It took me awhile to get into this book, but eventually I really fell hard for the characters and their lives while growing up. There was a lot of heart in this book. I'd highly recommend it!! It is a long read, but I enjoyed it on audiobook. It was fun to watch Francie Nolan grow up and experience success in life.
These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 by Nancy E. TurnerMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed this book even though it took awhile for me to get into it. I haven't read a lot of books from this time period in US history, but this one was a great snapshot of what life might have been like in a certain area at that time. The love story was secondary to the very strong character of Sarah Prine and she was such a determined woman that you just have to love her. There were definitely a few tear-jerking moments and some slower passages, but this book was really special and I'm glad I took a chance on it.
Happiness for Beginners by Katherine CenterMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I absolutely loved this book. I was not prepared to love it as much as I did. I really liked the entire plot where they spent time in the wilderness, I enjoyed Helen's character and how much she learned about herself, and of course, what wasn't to love about Jake?
This book was so much more than I was expecting it to be, and if you're looking for a feel-good read that is not TOO fluffy (in my opinion), this one is really good.
After I Do by Taylor Jenkins ReidMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Started this book at 7:30 pm - finished 85% of it over the next 2 1/2 hours, then woke up early and finished it before work. Taylor Jenkins Reid's writing is addictive.
This book was as enjoyable as One True Loves for me, and although there were parts of this book that I couldn't relate to (I don't think I could ever do what they chose as a couple even if it worked for them), there were other parts that I absolutely related to. I felt this way about One True Loves too. Her characters are just such real people that when you are reading about them, you think, wow, I've felt that way before too. I love that about these books.
I highly recommend this author and I'm certainly going to be picking up her other novels this fall.
A Trick of the Light by Louise PennyMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
A lot of the relationships in this book were particularly strained, so that added a new level of interest to it for me. It was kind of fun to be back in Three Pines too. I am totally hooked on this series and really enjoying working my way through the books this year.
I enjoyed all the art world talk in this one, and I truly was a bit shocked at who the murderer ended up being, so that was fun!
The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills by Daniel CoyleMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a fun read with some very practical tips. I love tips that are backed by research. This book taught me a lot about what I can do to cultivate some skills I am hoping to improve on, and it also taught me that sometimes people are better than me at things because they put A LOT of time, practice, and effort into it.
Some other enjoyable reads:
Keeping the Castle by Patrice KindlMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I almost abandoned this book, but got back into it during my commute and it was enjoyable. If you like regency style stories, this one isn't too bad. It's not my favourite, but some of the characters are entertaining.
A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna QuindlenMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was an extremely quick read, but so many quotes in it that I really love. I will probably definitely read the whole thing again (seriously <30 and="" br="" down="" minutes="" some="" thoughts.="" write="">
30>
Suddenly Royal, Recklessly Royal and Reluctantly Royal by Nichole ChaseMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
The first book in this series was the best of the three, but the other two were OK too and it was fun to follow along with the other characters. The first one really reminded me of The Princess Diaries crossed with The Royal We and it was just too much fun to read.
Sunset in Central Park by Sarah MorganMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I felt a bit invested in this series after reading the first book via Netgalley, so I had an idea of how this book would play out. It was a fun read with a happy ending and cute characters.
Other books I read: Leave Me (don't bother), The Gender Game (really liked it!), and two more books in the Bridgerton series: Romancing Mr. Bridgerton (loved it!) and To Sir Philip with Love (not as good but still OK)...honestly, if you happen to be seeking out a great historical Regency romance series, this is a really good one!!
Currently reading: Bel Canto, The Secrets of Happy Families, The History of Love, and The Beautiful Mystery. (I'd really say I am only focused on two of these though...haha). I have two 6 hour plane rides coming up next weekend so I will be finishing all of these by the end of that, I'm sure!
Currently reading: Bel Canto, The Secrets of Happy Families, The History of Love, and The Beautiful Mystery. (I'd really say I am only focused on two of these though...haha). I have two 6 hour plane rides coming up next weekend so I will be finishing all of these by the end of that, I'm sure!








Well look at you, keeping my TBR list long. Lol! I added The Little Book of Talent, which sounds like it might be similar to So Good They Can't Ignore You (which I just read). So Good also talks about skill acquisition (he calls it "career capital") but he says the difference between the great and the good is the way they acquire skills. He said people who are constantly stretching themselves instead of staying in their comfort zone end up being much better even if they practice the same amount and that feedback is important.
ReplyDeleteOh a lot of these sound really good. I just opened up like 5 goodreads tabs... These is my words sounds really interesting!! :) Glad you got a lot of reading in last month. :) XO - Alexandra
ReplyDeleteSimply Alexandra: My Favorite Things
So many good books for you this month! I love when you're reading a book and so into it, that you have to finish it the next morning as soon as you wake up. I had ever intention of reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn last month but didn't end up getting to it-- hopefully sometime before the year ends.
ReplyDeleteI truly loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but also remember it taking me a while to get into it.
ReplyDeleteI must get on the Taylor Jenkins Reid train. Maybe on my flight later this month.
Yay! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Happiness for Beginners! That book completely took me by surprise, but it's so, so good! I also enjoyed After I Do and I agree with you that I could NEVER do what this couple did to fix their marriage. It gave me some serious anxiety trying to think of myself in the same situation.
ReplyDeletegood to know about the next books in the suddenly royal series, i feel good about skipping them. the Bridgerton series is on my kindle... one day lol!
ReplyDeleteI'm in the first one of Suddenly Royal & I see I'm nearing 100% on my Kindle & I'm like, how is this going to end... I guess I need to get the rest of the books to learn the whole story, huh? ... HATE THAT!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou didn't like Leave Me? I had it on on my TBR and now I am like...do I even wanna? I really liked Sunset in Central Park, glad you enjoyed it. I love Taylor Jenkins Reid and I need to read After I Do still! I went back and added the first Chief Inspector Armand Gamache book to my TBR. The series sounds interesting and you seem to be going strong with it.
ReplyDeleteI have not read any TJR or Louise Penny but they are two authors I plan to tackle next month. I'm adding Happiness for Beginners to my TBR. I always love a feel-good book, especially when they are too fluffy, which can get annoying quickly. To Sir Philip with Love was probably my least favorite Bridgerton book too.
ReplyDeleteA Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one I've ALWAYS wanted to read; I remember hearing about it when I was still in school. Haven't managed to get my hands on a copy yet, but i'm off to request it from my library.
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I keep forgetting to put that on my TBR list. Thanks for the reminder :)
ReplyDeleteI still haven't read A Tree Grows In Brooklyn either which is really surprising considering that it's a coming of age book that most girls read when they're younger. Obviously I need to read it! Everybody's been talking about Taylor Jenkins Reid, and I still haven't read one of her books! I have One True Loves so I need to read it soon!
ReplyDeleteYou had a great reading month! I've never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but I keep saying I should. Happiness for Beginners has been on my list ever since I included it in a vote for my book club - I was secretly hoping it would win. I've heard really good things about it and I'm glad to hear you also enjoyed it! I should put my name on the hold list at the library for it. And I agree with what you said about After I Do - I really enjoyed it too and I just love Reid's writing and characters. I'm definitely going to make it a priority to read the rest of her books this fall!
ReplyDeleteYou really plowed through the books this month!
ReplyDeleteThat's what I love about TJR. Her characters are so real. She has a gift for writing relatable, normal people.
I've never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I feel that maybe I should.
ReplyDeleteI love, LOVE TJR. I feel like I say this every month but it's true!
I'll join everyone else on the TJR train. I've finally read all her books so I'm bummed to have to wait until next year for a new one! Going to check out Happiness for Beginners now!
ReplyDeleteright now i'm sort of struggling with reading; i'm caught between that and watching The Night Of and .... sad to say, TV is winning :(
ReplyDeleteI've had A Tree Grows in Brooklyn on my tbr for ages.
ReplyDeleteI've yet to read a Taylor Jenkins Reid book, but I intend to just to see what she's about since so many seem to enjoy her. Do you have a personal fave?
What an amazing list of books you've been reading! I also have to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I've added a few of your books to my tbr pile! :)
ReplyDelete