Recent Reads (Show us your Books link up!)

I had a weird reading month this month. I read a few books that I absolutely LOVED and would recommend. I also read a few so-so books. Mostly, I got super overwhelmed by a million library holds coming in at once and now I have 17 books to read in the next 2-3 weeks. I think I'll have to pick my favourites and send the others back. That's not counting some Netgalley books I have & a few other books that I own and want to read soon. Too many books, not enough time. :) I did love what Steph said a few weeks ago about hoping she never sees the end of her TBR list. This is true for me too. Do I need to read everything on the list? No, of course not. I love having books to refer to when I'm in the mood for something in particular though. Linking up with Steph & Jana today and looking forward to reading about others' recent reads!!

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (5 stars) This was my last book in my Book Challenge by Erin 4.0 list and knowing that it would make me feel emotional kind of made me put it off for a bit. It was a hard book to read in the sense that many WWII novels are - and it was sad, but it was beautiful too. I enjoyed not knowing who the narrator was for the entire book although I did have a guess ;). I really felt drawn to this book as a woman and as a mother. It made me so grateful to have grown up & to currently live in our free country. I'd highly recommend this book if you think your heart can take it. I need to read a few more of Kristin Hannah's books sometimes - I am leaning towards Firefly Lane as my next one sometime. 





Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (4 stars) Listened to this one on audio via the library. I am pledging to read more Newberry Honor books this year, and this was one of them. It was pretty quick, and it was a cute story. It wasn't as profound as the adult WWII books I'd read lately, but I appreciated that very much. A very solid middle-grade/YA book and a perspective I hadn't read much about (occupied Denmark). 






Living in the Moment & Gratitude by Dani DiPirro (3-4 stars) I got both of these books from Netgalley. I love books like this. "Gift books" that make you feel good when you're browsing through the pages and that have quotable quotes and look great on a coffee table or bookshelf or nightstand. These books both had some cute ideas for ways to better express gratitude in your life or ways to stay present. I would not hesitate to buy one for a friend someday.








The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (4 stars) This seems to be many peoples' least favourite of Morton's books, but since it was my first by her, I wasn't able to make that comparison. I really enjoyed it. It took me a long time to read, and I think I read a book or two while reading it, but the story was really good in my mind. I loved the Mud man component, and I really enjoyed how much Edie enjoyed books. I had sorted out the ending a bit, but not entirely, so there was an element of surprise in it for me. If it's not her best, then I am looking forward to reading her other books (currently reading The Secret Keeper). Her books seem to be long but they're worth it. They kind of remind me a bit of Kristin Hannah's.




My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout (3 stars) I received this book from Netgalley. I had been approved for this a long time ago, and read about half of it in one sitting and then forgot about it completely until it was published and a lot of people were suddenly chatting about it. For me, this book passed the time but it wasn't anything too special. I just couldn't relate enough to the main character. It wasn't a super bad book, but I just felt like not enough really happened to keep my attention. If it had been longer, I might not have even finished it.




Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (4.5 stars) I recieved a copy of this book from Netgalley. I started reading this the second I was approved for it on Netgalley, and I barely did anything else until it was done. As in, I read 500+ pages in about 24 hours. Haha. I actually think I need to go back and re-read it again before my copy expires. It was JUST the book I needed at the time. I'd been in a WWII/tough plotline-kind-of-book slump in the sense that the books I'd been reading (see above) were REALLY good, but really tough. This one was adorable and it made me so happy. If you are a puritan Jane Austen fan, this book might not be your favourite. The modern updates might be a bit too much for you. And honestly, some of them were a little too much for me (ahem *Ham*), but there were so many parts of it that were really just cute. I enjoyed this book A LOT.


One Plus One by JoJo Moyes (4 stars) After falling in love with Moyes' writing in Me Before You, and then also enjoying After You, I wasn't sure that her other books would be as good, but this one was very solid. I adored the characters and I am a big "root for the underdog" kind of person, so I just wanted something good to happen to these people. It was well written, funny, heartwarming, and unique. I was going to follow this one up with The Girl You Left Behind, but I had a feeling it was a bit more emotional and I needed a break from war stories so I'm going to get it again at the library in a bit.





A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall (3.5 stars) I remember seeing Kristen post about this book *ages* ago and thinking, wow, what a pretty cover! I saved it for when I needed a fun and easy YA read ;) It was a really cute story and I didn't mind the different perspectives. I definitely felt like it was a bit predictable, and a bit too YA for me (it's me, not it, haha) and I wouldn't recommend it as earth-shattering literature, but it was a quick and cute read. I read the interview with the author at the end and I couldn't believe she wrote the whole book in 6 days!!! whoa.






Ivy in Bloom (various authors) (4 stars) via Netgalley - I enjoyed this poetry anthology, especially at this time of the year. I am not big into poetry, but this one passed the time nicely and I am sure I will reference it again sometime. It's meant for children, but that's ok :)








Other reads this month:

Miss Match by Catherine Avril Morris (via Bookbub) - fluffy but I wanted to find out how it ended - 2/5
Online Dating, the Good, the Bad, the Hopeless by Francis James - via Netgalley - I thought I would enjoy some of these anecdotes since Brian and I met online, but it was pretty much not what I expected.
Calling Me by Louise Bay - via Netgalley (DNF) - not what I expected it to be.
Three Year Olds are A Holes - via Netgalley  (3 stars) pretty funny.

And favourite kid reads:

Who Broke the Teapot? by Bill Slavin Via Netgalley - This is a hilarious book about blame, and Molly really liked it. I can easily see this situation happening in any house with kids, or childish adults ;)

Let's Play by Hervé Tullet - what can I say, he is one of our favourites and his newest book is a fun one!

The Littles by John Peterson - started this chapter book with Molly which used to be my sister's favourite series. It is so cute and I love that we can read chapter books a bit now!!





21 comments

  1. So many books! I really enjoyed Eligible too-- the only part that I had a hard time pulling away from wanting more of the original version was how Darcy and Elizabeth's romance started-- it was totally modern and fit, but I so wanted more of the original romance. I loved One Plus One too- almost just as much as Me Before You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in the moment is something I need to do more of. I was writing a post the other day about how sometimes it's hard to just be happy and I think part of that is because I'm so rarely focused on the here and now. Three Year Olds are Aholes sounds hilarious! I have some books that I'm adding to my TBR for future parenthood, because I feel like I'll enjoy them more when I have my own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooooved One Plus One and really liked The Nightingale, too. I read Number the Stars in elementary school (Lois Lowry is from Houston, where I live, so it was widely celebrated in the school library community) and I liked it a lot them. I've never read a Jane Austen book, so maybe Eligible would work for me? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have The Nightingale and One Plus One on my list. I think I need to look into that Kate Morton, I'm not sure I read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Nightingale as well! I recommend you read Firefly Lane! That was one of my first Kristin Hannah books...just have the tissues handy! I am on the library wait list for Eligible. One Plus One has been on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Distant Hours sounds right up my alley! Adding it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew, you are on avid reader! I also love the cover of A Little Something! Yes, we are all in need of a quick cute book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a great month of reading! Did you not read Number the Stars in school when you were a kid? I loved that book when I read it many, many years ago..I'd love to reread it some day, although sometimes it's nice to just hold on to the memory of reading a particular book. One Plus One is on my physical bookshelves and I've heard good things about it! I've actually only read Me Before You by Moyes, but I need to fix that asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Secret Keeper is my favorite book by Kate Morton, so I can't wait to hear what you think of it! I had to read Number the Stars in elementary school, and I remember liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Nightingale too. Adding Distant Hours to my list. I haven't read anything by Kate Horton either and I love getting introduced to new authors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Nightingale really was just such a beautiful read! I really enjoyed not knowing who the narrator was as well, and it totally made me appreciate the fact that our country has not had to deal with a war on it's soil in a long time. I have Eligible from Netgalley too, and I need to read it very soon! I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, but not a purist, so I hope that I enjoy it as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already have One Plus One and Eligible on my TBR list, can't wait to read them, glad to know you liked them! Ahhh The Nightingale is on my my favorite books ever, it was sooo good! I love Kristen Hannah, and Firefly Lane was definitely so good, read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i totally agree about a long tbr list. sometimes it makes me feel frazzled, but for the most part, when i am in the mood for something specific, i know i can find like 10 options on my tbr list. nothing makes me feel worse than going through my tbr list and having nothing jump out at me lol
    i absolutely adored eligible, so much that i'm gonna buy it for real. also, your copy shouldn't expire, right? my netgalley books don't expire as long as i download them in time. as for ham.. yeah, i think some parts were unnecessary? like the author wanted to see how many modern changes she could make (erm, is it a female author? curtis? but i think it is). but i still loved it.
    i loved one plus one! i read it after me before you and the girl you left behind, so it wasn't as solid as those, but looking back on it (read it over a year ago) i upped my rating to 5 stars because i really did enjoy it and it's so different to the other two.
    a little something different is so adorable! i'm glad you liked it, i did not read the part at the end saying she wrote it in 6 days woah! i think i read it after a couple of bad/depressing books so it just filled my heart with sappy joy, as lame as that sounds. looking back on it, it was definitely a 3 or 3.5 star book, but you know.. what you enjoy at the time and all that jazz.
    oh and the library.. seriously. its ridiculous. i really have to be careful with how many books i put on hold because it stresses me out when i have so many, and i neglect the books i own or are on my kindle/netgalley. so i have a rule, no more than 10 books from each venue (netgalley/library) at one time.. right now i have 15 netgalley books and 11 library books so.... not doing so well hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the Nightingale! I always recommend the book Winter Garden by the same author - it's really good! I've seen Kate Morton books around a lot but have just never picked one up, I might need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like you, I am looking forward to reading more Kristin Hannah. I have Home Front on my radar.
    I participate in an Aussie Author annual challenge. I've never read Kate Morton, and I selected The Forgotten Garden for that. I'm looking forward to that too.
    One Plus One is on my to read as well. So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you loved The Nightingale! I kind of put it off for a while for the same reasons you did ... I knew it was going to be emotionally draining, and you definitely can't just pick up a book like that without being in the right sort of mood.

    I'm also struggling with too many library books! It's not a bad problem to have, of course, but it does suck when you have a few out that can't be renewed. I hate choosing a book just because I have to read it within a short amount of time ... I'd much rather choose it because it's what I'm in the mood to read. #libraryproblems

    ReplyDelete
  17. One Plus One is *one* of my favorites. I liked The Nightingale. Hella depressing from beginning to end, though.
    Number the Stars is one of my very favorites though. I read it to my class most years as a novel study.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My library holds are all coming at the same time too I can feel it. I've been watching them all move up faster and faster until they're about about even, why does that always happen?

    My library doesn't have Let's Play but I put a different Tullet on hold for K, I didn't realize he had such a nice selection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The influx of library books struggle is real. Why do they do that?

    Number the Stars was an excellent book. And One Plus One is my favorite Jojo Moyes book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So fun! I haven't read any of those, but I can definitely see how some of the lighter picks evened out the intense ones! I definitely want to read Elligible especially. I did not request it via netgalley... but then again... I have like 6 books at least that I am behind on for Netgalley. And all of my library picks came in at once too. Wah... : / hehe XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great month of reading! I was not prepared for my first Kristen Hannah book, Winter Garden. That book destroyed me. I'm hoping to find something by her that is a little bit lighter and then, when I'm back to reading WWII book in 2017, I'll pick this one up.

    I didn't super love One Plus One, but The Last Letter From Your Lover is SO good! It's a tad emotional, but I also cry at random commercials, so that could just be me! haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post! I reply to comments via e-mail unless you are a no-reply blogger, and if that is the case you can check out this post to fix it!!