Where I'm From

At Christmas time, my dad's family members all write something and compile it into an annual anthology for my grandmother. My grandmother usually selects the topics (but you can write or submit anything you want!) and we all try to contribute something as a gift to her each year. It's a great family tradition, and my dad has encouraged us to write something each year. 




This year, I came across a post that I loved on Alison's blog, Writing, Wishing. It was a poetry exercise based on the poem Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon. I decided to write my own "Where I'm From" poem for our Christmas book this year, and I'd like to share it here too. If you'd like to see Allison's poem, you can find it here. You can also read more about the original poem here and follow a template for writing your own version here

Here's my poem:

I am from black and white sheet music and wet Speedo swim goggles.
I am from a productive and hard-working metropolis that maintains a country vibe and is home to many friendly citizens.
I am from the moors of Scottish heather, the small purple flower that is my namesake.
I am from Sunday mass, family board game nights, and a competitive spirit. I am from Ella and Wesley Munroe (parents’ names changed).
I am from both quiet musings in a circle at the dining room table and loud chitchat in a large group where everyone is always right.
I am from a family that values education and thoughtfulness, and the reminder that life is not always fair.
I am from a 2000 year old Roman Catholic faith that is growing and evolving under a new world leader this year.
I’m from Calgary, known to many as Cowtown, but I am also from the small island of Cape Breton, the home of many hearts. I’m from Acadian French meat pies, the jagged Rocky mountains, lively Scottish fiddle tunes,  the rolling plains, Alberta beef, and Atlantic seafood.
I’m from the family of 5 that camped our way across the country and sought out big things along the way, from a home that considered stuffed animals to be family members, and from the infamous sibling trio 3Mo. I’m from books that were read under the covers at night, from Jack stories made up on the spot, and from Hank the Cowdog and the jelly-bean game.
I’m from the old photo albums stacked in the basement, the box of childhood mementos that has been saved, and the soldier ornament hanging on my new Christmas tree. I’m from parents who constantly showed me the meaning of love. I’m from a family that I am proud to call my own, and one that I love to share with my husband and daughter. 


Where are you from??

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!


2 comments

  1. This is lovely, Heather! So glad you wrote this. Thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE poem Heather. What a nice idea.
    I am an Alberta girl too. I was born in Drayton Valley and then I grew up in Hinton. Now I live on Vancouver Island.. so I have been avoiding all of the awful winter weather...!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post! I reply to comments via e-mail unless you are a no-reply blogger, and if that is the case you can check out this post to fix it!!